About the role
We are looking for an Electronics Engineer seeking to apply their skills to the development of exciting new products and technologies to join a small and busy team. We think someone with around 5 years’ experience may have the solid base of knowledge and skills needed for the role. The role may also involve some travel to client sites for sales and project activity.
We offer flexible working policies in terms of both location and working hours from the first day of joining. We operate core ‘availability’ hours (9:30am to 12:00pm & 2:00pm to 4:00pm Monday to Thursday and 9:30am to 12:00pm on Friday) which colleagues can work around in agreement with their line manager. We trust our people to work from home, although there may be some occasions and some roles when working from the office is necessary. We are planning on this being a full-time role (38 hours per week) but please get in touch with us if you are thinking of applying and would need to work flexibly, we are open to discussions about every role and we would love to hear from you.
As an Electronics Engineer, you will be responsible for the design and development of electronic systems as part of the Electronics & Software team. You will use your knowledge of electronic and physical first principles, analytical skills, practical experimentation, and simulation skills to take electronic systems from concepts through to production. Your keen eye for detail, excellent organisation and time management will be central to your role as a consultant, where you’ll also be contributing to project planning, proposal writing, specification development and reporting of engineering activities.
Your skills and experience
We understand that candidates may not have all of the skills and experience contained within our job adverts and as such we would encourage you to apply for the role or just call us for a chat if you do not quite match all of the requirements:
- A degree (2:1) or above in Electronics Engineering or associated course, or relevant industry experience
- Knowledge of analogue circuit design principles
- Knowledge of digital electronics principles, 8-bit/ARM micro-controllers, FPGAs etc
- A solid understanding of common wired and wireless communications protocols including I2C, UART, SPI, Bluetooth LE, USB, Ethernet etc.
- An understanding of good practice in PCB layout
- Confidence and authority when presenting approaches and decisions
- Great people skills and an ability to collaborate in project teams, often to challenging deadlines
Any experience in working in a consultancy environment; developing medical devices; designing low power circuits or working with the STM32 series of Arm Cortex microcontrollers would also be of interest to us.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Why work with us?
We recognise that we are only as good as our people and we know how important it is to support our team:
- Performance related company-wide bonus, plus additional bonus opportunities for the Business Development team
- Flexible working approaches around our core availability hours (which are Monday to Thursday 9:30am to 12:00pm & 2:00pm to 4:00pm and Friday 9:30 to 12:00pm) to help manage your work-life balance
- Training and development opportunities which include regular ‘lunch and learn’ sessions and knowledge sharing via internal channels
- Private healthcare for you and your family as well as additional support via our Employee Assistance Programme
- Enhanced Maternity & Paternity leave
- Discounted First Bus monthly and annual passes (Bristol has a good Park & Ride network.)
- Secure in-building bike storage and shower
- Free eye tests
- Join us for our legendary annual Summer and Christmas parties. There are also plenty of opportunities to socialise outside of the office too, including activities like staff-organised runs, cycles, yoga sessions and regular team socials!
- The opportunity to become involved in our work with the RSA, Frank Water, Kerning The Gap, TeenTech, Babbasa, and The Big Bang
- Regular opportunities to have your say and share your thoughts on how we can develop as a team and as a business
- Enjoy our café that acts as the focal point for the whole team to get together for morning coffee, lunch and afternoon tea. Cake plays a huge feature in the day-to-day here at KD!
At Kinneir Dufort (KD) our mission is simple – to Design a Better World. We work with a wide range of clients in a variety of sectors, including medical, consumer and industrial. We have a highly skilled and collaborative team that enables us to combine creativity, technical innovation and user experience to deliver world-changing products and services to our clients.
Founded in 1977 by Ross Kinneir and Francis Dufort, the KD team are based in an iconic building in the vibrant city of Bristol. The characterful Grade 2 listed stone building was originally built as a sugar refinery around 1850. It’s now completely refitted, and houses all of our staff plus our workshops, labs, the design studio, an HF usability suite, as well as client meeting spaces. We are in a great central location: the local area is full of independent shops and it is only a short walk up to Park Street, or over to the Harbourside and St Nick’s Markets, both of which have regular street food markets.
Our values underpin everything we do. As a business and as individuals we are Curious, Open, Adaptable, Expert, Human & Inclusive. We believe strongly in equality and fairness and try hard to do the right thing; we speak up for and support groups who are working to make a difference. Our official KD partners are the RSA, Frank Water, Kerning The Gap, TeenTech, Babbasa and The Big Bang. Many of our team are also involved in, or run, events in their local communities, making a difference to those around them.
The team at KD are intelligent, hard-working, fun and collaborate brilliantly together to produce creative solutions. We work with some of the biggest, best and most interesting international clients that you’ll find anywhere. We’re a multi-disciplinary team, with experts in research, innovation, human factors, digital UX, 2D and 3D product & packaging design, engineering, prototyping, and electronics & software, all uniquely integrated within one great company.
Do we sound like a good match for you?
If you’d like to apply or discuss the role, we’d love to hear from you. If you think you might be the right person for us but want an informal chat first then get in touch.
If you like the sound of KD and you feel you have the right skills for the role please send your CV and cover letter to [email protected] with the reference KDEENov21. We look forward to hearing from you!
Please note the deadline for this vacancy is 12 December 2021.
At KD we consciously embrace diversity and proactively encourage this with our recruitment process. We welcome applications to this position from anyone meeting the skills criteria, from any background.