Head of Consumer
About the role
At Kinneir Dufort our mission is simple – to Design a Better World. We work with a wide range of clients in a variety of sectors, including medical, consumer and industrial. We have a highly skilled and collaborative team that enables us to combine creativity, technical innovation and user experience to deliver world-changing products and services to our clients.
We are looking to recruit an experienced front-end innovation business development professional, whose role will be to accelerate the development of a fast growing, profitable and sustainable business across our Consumer portfolio. We are serious about growing and we’re looking for a person who wants to grow with us.
As one of our team of Business Developers, you will take a consultative selling approach, working with both existing and new clients. You will help them to understand the full range of innovative design that KD can offer and you will build strong relationships that clients will turn to time and time again as they develop their product strategies. We are proud that we can support clients to ‘think differently’, whether through considering user-centred holistic product & service brand experiences, omni-channel approaches, front-end innovation driven design and product development, physical / digital connected product ecosystems, or creating smart & sustainable brand packaging and product solutions.
First and foremost, you will be passionate about two things – designing a better world and accelerating KD’s growth. You will be operating as a part of a friendly, supportive, ambitious Sales & Marketing team, all of whom have something unique to add. So, you’ll need to be a natural collaborator, with a disciplined approach, who’s ready to focus on winning exciting new contracts for our team to deliver.
You will have experience of engaging with senior stakeholders in relation to their design strategies. You will have a lot of energy; experience of building business in design services, and you’ll believe, like we do, in the importance of user or consumer experience in the design process. You will be familiar with working in a consultative environment or agency. You will be able to demonstrate your credibility, but with the down-to-earth approach that inspires trust and excitement in our clients.
This is an exciting opportunity to work closely with our board, with genuine prospects of making a real difference at KD where your impact will be plain to see and celebrated.
We believe our team is the best so you will also be a high achiever with a proven track record and lots of enthusiasm. You may currently be in a business development role for an innovation, design or technology consultancy business, or you may be working in a strategic consultancy role or providing client services in the product innovation and design industry. Either way, you will have a passion for helping clients to create new designs that improve the lives of their customers.
Your skills and experience
Ideally you will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Experience of consultative selling or providing consultative advice on innovation and design within the Consumer and FMCG market.
- A strong understanding of the latest trends in design innovation and an ability to communicate this knowledgeably to clients.
- Successful experience of developing repeatable business with established Consumer clients.
- Experience of successfully working as part of a team and openly exchanging information and supporting colleagues.
- Evidence of a collaborative style and approach.
- Evidence of strong established client relationships.
- Evidence of a results-based ethos.
- Experience of translating strategic priorities into appropriate action.
- Evidence of continuous professional development.
At Kinneir Dufort (KD) we combine creative, technical and user experience expertise with agility. This enables our collaborative teams to rapidly define, create, develop and deliver world-changing products and experiences.
We think KD is a special company to work for. Our team are intelligent, hard-working, fun, non-egocentric, and collaborate brilliantly together to produce creative solutions. We work with some of the biggest, best and most interesting international clients that you’ll find anywhere. We’re a multi-disciplinary team, with experts in research, innovation, human factors, digital UX, 2D and 3D product & packaging design, engineering, prototyping, and electronics & software, all uniquely integrated within one great company.
Our team are collectively driven to “design a better world” by creating impactful change and positive outcomes for our clients and the people we are designing for. Designing a better world is something we strive for, both in the work we do, and the way we work. We believe strongly in equality and fairness and try hard to do the right thing; we speak up for and support groups who are working to make a difference. Our official KD partners are the RSA, Frank Water, Kerning The Gap, TeenTech, Babbasa and The Big Bang. Many of our team are also involved in, or run, events in their local communities, making a difference to those around them.
Founded in 1977 by Ross Kinneir and Francis Dufort, the KD team are based in an iconic building in the vibrant city of Bristol. The characterful Grade 2 listed stone building was originally built as a sugar refinery around 1850 and was later used to store theatre costumes. It’s now completely refitted, and houses all of our staff plus our workshops, labs, the design studio, an HF usability suite, and client meeting spaces. The local area, “Christmas Steps Arts Quarter”, is full of independent shops and makers. It’s a short walk up to Park Street, or over to the Harbourside and St Nick’s Markets, both of which have regular street food markets.
We offer flexible working policies in terms of both location and working hours. During normal circumstances, staff are typically expected to work a proportion of their week in the office and can work flexibly around specific ‘available hours’ in the working day. Please contact us if you are thinking of applying and would like more information about how our flexible working policy might work for you in this role.
Why work with us?
At KD we have strong values which underpin everything we do. As a business and as individuals we are Curious, Open, Adaptable, Expert, Human & Inclusive.
We expect a lot of our team, but in return we think we offer a lot too.
We understand that we are only as good as our people, and we know how important it is to support our team.
We offer our staff:
• 25 days holiday a year (with extra days for long service).
• A matched contributory pension scheme.
• Company-wide bonus plus additional bonus opportunities for the business development team
• Private health care for you and your family; free employee eye tests plus an employee assistance scheme.
• Training and development opportunities, and regular lunch and learn sessions.
• Flexible working approaches.
• Regular opportunities to have your say, tell us what you think and influence how we develop as a team and as a business.
• Secure in-building bike storage and shower, discounted First Bus monthly and annual passes. (Bristol has a good Park & Ride bus network.)
• The opportunity to become involved in our work with the RSA, Frank Water, Kerning The Gap, TeenTech, Babbasa, The Big Bang.
• A cafe that acts as the focal point for the whole team to get together for morning coffee, lunch and afternoon tea. There is always daily fresh fruit and usually cake! There are plenty of opportunities to socialise outside of the office too, including activities like staff-organised runs, cycles, yoga sessions, as well as regular team socials.
Salary commensurate with experience.
If you’d like to apply or discuss the role, we’d love to hear from you (unless you’re a recruitment consultant). We embrace equality and diversity in our business, it’s really important to us. Please send your CV and cover letter to [email protected] with the reference KDBD-SEP21.If you think you might be the right person for us but want an informal chat first then get in touch.
The deadline for this vacancy is 9 December 2021.
At KD we consciously embrace diversity and proactively encourage this with our recruitment process. We welcome applications to this position from anyone meeting the skills criteria, from any background.