About the role
At Kinneir Dufort our mission is simple – to Design a Better World. We work with a wide range of clients in a variety of sectors, including medical, consumer and industrial. We have a highly skilled and collaborative team that enables us to combine creativity, technical innovation and user experience to deliver world-changing products and services to our clients.
We are looking for a Mechanical Engineer to join our experienced team.
Engineering is a vital component of KD’s medical sector offer. Our work is typically very diverse; and this role will be focussed on multidisciplinary product development, working on everything from concept generation and engineering analysis through to detailed design and formal verification.
As a Mechanical Engineer, you will take responsibility for the engineering of a wide variety of projects within the engineering team. You’ll use your analytical skills, experiment planning and understanding of manufacturing processes to take a product from the initial briefing with the client through to robust mechanical designs.
Taking the product from design concept through to production requires a range of skills, that may include structural analysis and FEA, prototyping and experimentation and an understanding of design for manufacture and assembly. Your keen eye for detail, excellent organisation and time management will be central to your role as a consultant, where you’ll also be contributing to project planning, proposal writing, specification development and reporting of engineering activities.
The multidisciplinary projects at KD will allow you to work with our team members from our design, electronics, software and human factors teams, allowing you to learn from a board range of different skills sets and expertise. You will also contribute to developing business through support to sales meetings and proposal preparation. You may be working in industry, a consultancy or a start-up and have a passion for understanding how products work, what are the key drivers in a design and how to refine them to meet the needs of the user.
You will bring your own particular skill to add depth to our team’s engineering and product development offering however, at KD, collaboration is vital to how we work and you will need to be a team-player and enjoy a customer facing role, working with our clients to help them meet their goals.
Your skills and experience
While you do not need to fulfil all of these, please ensure you meet the majority before making an application.
• 1st or Upper 2nd, Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Engineering Design
• 4+ years’ hands-on engineering experience in product development
• Experience of the product development process, from concept through to manufacture and of mechanical systems and products
• A keen focus on the use of robust engineering principles and analysis techniques
• Ability to translate designs into working prototypes
• Commercial awareness from a company and client perspective
• Exposure to client relationship management and development; ideally consultancy experience
• Understanding and working within multi-disciplinary teams (i.e. alongside industrial design, electronics and software, prototyping etc)
• Excellent presentation skills including written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work within design control under quality management systems
• Bright, organised, personable, enthusiastic, pragmatic, team player
Other relevant engineering skills
The successful candidate will also have experience in a wide range of engineering processes such as:
• Mechanism Design
• Product Design
• Analysis of static, dynamic, fluid or thermodynamic systems (potentially FEA or CFD)
• Design for manufacture including materials selection using manufacturing processes such as injection moulding, machining, sheet metal, forming
• Tolerance analysis, design specification & 2D drawings.
• Experience using SolidWorks & other CAD packages (e.g.Creo, AutoCAD, Fusion 360)
• Use of FMEA and Fault Tree Analysis
• Medical device development experience including Risk Management
This is a full-time role based in our beautiful Bristol City Centre HQ, however we offer a flexible working policy that enables our team to work from home for a proportion of their working week. The role will involve some national and international travel to client sites.
At Kinneir Dufort (KD) we combine creative, technical and user experience expertise with agility. This enables our collaborative teams to rapidly define, create, develop and deliver world-changing products and experiences.
We think KD is a special company to work for. Our team are intelligent, hard-working, fun, non-egocentric, and collaborate brilliantly together to produce creative solutions. We work with some of the biggest, best and most interesting international clients that you’ll find anywhere. We’re a multi-disciplinary team, with experts in research, innovation, human factors, digital UX, 2D and 3D product & packaging design, engineering, prototyping, and electronics & software, all uniquely integrated within one great company.
Our team are collectively driven to “design a better world” by creating impactful change and positive outcomes for our clients and the people we are designing for. Designing a better world is something we strive for, both in the work we do, and the way we work. We believe strongly in equality and fairness and try hard to do the right thing; we speak up for and support groups who are working to make a difference. Our official KD partners are the RSA, Frank Water, Kerning The Gap, TeenTech, Babbasa and The Big Bang. Many of our team are also involved in, or run, events in their local communities, making a difference to those around them.
Founded in 1977 by Ross Kinneir and Francis Dufort, the KD team are based in an iconic building in the vibrant city of Bristol. The characterful Grade 2 listed stone building was originally built as a sugar refinery around 1850 and was later used to store theatre costumes. It’s now completely refitted, and houses all of our staff plus our workshops, labs, the design studio, an HF usability suite, and client meeting spaces. The local area, “Christmas Steps Arts Quarter”, is full of independent shops and makers. It’s a short walk up to Park Street, or over to the Harbourside and St Nick’s Markets, both of which have regular street food markets.
We offer flexible working policies in terms of both location and working hours. During normal circumstances, staff are typically expected to work a proportion of their week in the office and can work flexibly around specific ‘available hours’ in the working day. Please contact us if you are thinking of applying and would like more information about how our flexible working policy might work for you in this role.
Why work with us?
At KD we have strong values which underpin everything we do. As a business and as individuals we are Curious, Open, Adaptable, Expert, Human & Inclusive.
We expect a lot of our team, but in return we think we offer a lot too.
We understand that we are only as good as our people, and we know how important it is to support our team.
We offer our staff:
• 25 days holiday a year (with extra days for long service).
• A matched contributory pension scheme.
• Company-wide bonus plus additional bonus opportunities for the business development team
• Private health care for you and your family; free employee eye tests plus an employee assistance scheme.
• Training and development opportunities, and regular lunch and learn sessions.
• Flexible working approaches.
• Regular opportunities to have your say, tell us what you think and influence how we develop as a team and as a business.
• Secure in-building bike storage and shower, discounted First Bus monthly and annual passes. (Bristol has a good Park & Ride bus network.)
• The opportunity to become involved in our work with the RSA, Frank Water, Kerning The Gap, TeenTech, Babbasa, The Big Bang.
• A cafe that acts as the focal point for the whole team to get together for morning coffee, lunch and afternoon tea. There is always daily fresh fruit and usually cake! There are plenty of opportunities to socialise outside of the office too, including activities like staff-organised runs, cycles, yoga sessions, as well as regular team socials.
If you like the sound of us and you meet the above criteria, then we’d love to hear from you. Send your CV, along with a covering letter/email, to [email protected], including reference to KDME-Jul2021 in the subject line.
If you think you might be the right person for us but want an informal chat first then get in touch.
At KD we consciously embrace diversity and proactively encourage this with our recruitment process. We welcome applications to this position from anyone meeting the skills criteria, from any background.