Senior Digital Designer
About the role
At Kinneir Dufort (KD) our mission is simple – to Design a Better World. We work with a wide range of clients in a variety of sectors, including medical, consumer and industrial. We have a highly skilled and collaborative team that enables us to combine creativity, technical innovation and user experience to deliver world-changing products and services to our clients.
We’re serious about growing and we’re looking for the right person who wants to grow with us. We’re looking to recruit a Senior Digital Designer, to expand and influence our capability and expertise in screen-based User Interface (UI) design, prototyping and User Experience (UX).
As a Senior Digital Designer you will be responsible for all parts of the design process, from concept, through creative visualisation and user research to system design and prototyping. You will follow a practice of design thinking and UCD (User Centred Design) to scope, design and deliver digital user interfaces and associated experiences.
This permanent role is pivotal to the development of KD’s digital design capability. Digital design is an established discipline at KD, but we are always looking for new approaches to enhance the service we give our clients, whether based in technology or technique. This role offers a level of independence for you to help further define our approach and execution of digital design work. For the right candidate there is a great opportunity to influence and shape our UI design expertise as a whole, working closely with our Head of Digital to promote new ways of working and best practice in digital design.
We offer a premier service to our clients and take great pride and care in the designs we create and the process of discovering them. We are one of the few agencies in the world that can effectively cover every aspect of researching, designing, engineering, testing and delivering commercial products and digital experiences. As such, there is a huge variety in the approach and scope to the projects that we work on. We are looking for an innovative and entrepreneurial designer who will rise to the challenge of translating user needs into elegant, intuitive and effective outcomes. Adaptability, confidence and curiosity are all essential to the role.
You will have a passion for all things digital, and currently be working as a Mid-weight UI or UX designer or as a Senior Designer looking to specialise in interaction and UI design. You may be looking to take on more responsibility in your role or wanting to work on a broader variety of projects and sectors with responsibility to deliver design work in its entirety from start to finish.
Your design approach, personality and attitude are what are important to us. The strength of our team relies on our combined cross-functional experience, and we pride ourselves on recruiting the very best team members who will fully embrace our collaborative ethos.
Your skills and experience
You will have:
- 4+ years working as part of an agency or integrated in-house design team, ideally having worked as a design lead or similar on Agile projects as part of a cross functional team.
- A passion for creating inspiring solutions to complex information hierarchy challenges.
- A portfolio of work demonstrating strong skills in graphic design and prototyping, related to the web, native apps and other equivalent digital experiences.
- Experience of presenting design concepts, including task flows, wireframes and prototypes.
- Practical ability to turn user needs into intuitive and inspiring prototypes
- Workshop planning and facilitation.
- Accurate time estimation and management.
- Project scoping and budgeting related to design tasks.
- A pragmatic approach to design tasks and constraints.
- A strong knowledge of information design and related practices, including research techniques and evaluation to support design.
- Cross-channel journey mapping, desirable but not essential
- An understanding of software development and coding related to the web and native mobile apps.
- Observation, and a strong understanding, of how to scope research and testing related to UCD. This will ideally include the definition of tasks for inclusion in discussion guides and testing objectives.
- Demonstrable experience of working with quant and qual metrics relating to digital experiences.
- Excellent presentation and listening skills.
- Formal training in a creative discipline, Engineering or Psychology. This is desirable, but not essential.
At Kinneir Dufort (KD) we combine creative, technical and user experience expertise with agility. This enables our collaborative teams to rapidly define, create, develop and deliver world-changing products and experiences.
We think KD is a special company to work for. Our team are intelligent, hard-working, fun, non-egocentric, and collaborate brilliantly together to produce creative solutions. We work with some of the biggest, best and most interesting international clients that you’ll find anywhere. We’re a multi-disciplinary team, with experts in research, innovation, human factors, digital UX, 2D and 3D product & packaging design, engineering, prototyping, and electronics & software, all uniquely integrated within one great company.
Our team are collectively driven to “design a better world” by creating impactful change and positive outcomes for our clients and the people we are designing for. Designing a better world is something we strive for, both in the work we do, and the way we work. We believe strongly in equality and fairness and try hard to do the right thing; we speak up for and support groups who are working to make a difference. Our official KD partners are the RSA, Frank Water, Kerning The Gap, TeenTech, Babbasa and The Big Bang. Many of our team are also involved in, or run, events in their local communities, making a difference to those around them.
Founded in 1977 by Ross Kinneir and Francis Dufort, the KD team are based in an iconic building in the vibrant city of Bristol. The characterful Grade 2 listed stone building was originally built as a sugar refinery around 1850 and was later used to store theatre costumes. It’s now completely refitted, and houses all of our staff plus our workshops, labs, the design studio, an HF usability suite, and client meeting spaces. The local area, “Christmas Steps Arts Quarter”, is full of independent shops and makers. It’s a short walk up to Park Street, or over to the Harbourside and St Nick’s Markets, both of which have regular street food markets.
We offer flexible working policies in terms of both location and working hours. During normal circumstances, staff are typically expected to work a proportion of their week in the office and can work flexibly around specific ‘available hours’ in the working day. Please contact us if you are thinking of applying and would like more information about how our flexible working policy might work for you in this role.
Why work with us?
At KD we have strong values which underpin everything we do. As a business and as individuals we are Curious, Open, Adaptable, Expert, Human & Inclusive.
We expect a lot of our team, but in return we think we offer a lot too.
We understand that we are only as good as our people, and we know how important it is to support our team.
We offer our staff:
• 25 days holiday a year (with extra days for long service).
• A matched contributory pension scheme.
• Company-wide bonus plus additional bonus opportunities for the business development team
• Private health care for you and your family; free employee eye tests plus an employee assistance scheme.
• Training and development opportunities, and regular lunch and learn sessions.
• Flexible working approaches.
• Regular opportunities to have your say, tell us what you think and influence how we develop as a team and as a business.
• Secure in-building bike storage and shower, discounted First Bus monthly and annual passes. (Bristol has a good Park & Ride bus network.)
• The opportunity to become involved in our work with the RSA, Frank Water, Kerning The Gap, TeenTech, Babbasa, The Big Bang.
• A cafe that acts as the focal point for the whole team to get together for morning coffee, lunch and afternoon tea. There is always daily fresh fruit and usually cake! There are plenty of opportunities to socialise outside of the office too, including activities like staff-organised runs, cycles, yoga sessions, as well as regular team socials.
If you like the sound of us and you meet the above criteria, then we’d love to hear from you. Send your CV, along with a covering letter/email, to [email protected], including reference to KDSDD-JAN2021 in the subject line.
If you think you might be the right person for us but want an informal chat first then get in touch.
KD consciously embrace diversity and proactively encourage this with their recruitment process. They welcome applications to this position from anyone meeting the skills criteria, from any background.