About the role
Kinneir Dufort (KD) is a leading innovative product design business, combining creative, technical and user experience expertise to deliver world changing products and services for medical, consumer and industrial clients.
We are looking for a Software Engineer seeking to apply their expanding software development expertise to the development of exciting new products and technologies.
You will be an ambitious software engineer, with a minimum of 4 years’ experience.
Collaboration is vital to how we work, as it the specific ‘super power’ that each individual in our team brings. You will be a team-player, passionate about engineering, science and technology. You’ll enjoy problem-solving and working in a fast-paced, varied consultancy environment. We need you to feel confident when discussing project objectives and challenges with all stakeholders, including clients.
This is a full-time role (38 hours per week) based in our beautiful Bristol City Centre HQ, however a proportion of the work can be conducted while working from home. The role may also involve some travel to client sites for sales and project activity.
Your skills and experience
While you do not need to fulfil all of these, please ensure you meet the majority before making an application.
- A 2:1 Bachelor’s degree or above in Computing, Software Engineering or related degree
- A good understanding of software engineering best practice and software design
- Confidence and authority when presenting work to others
- Great people skills and an ability to collaborate in project teams
- The ability to self-motivate and focus on an individual challenge when necessary
- Commercial awareness and be able to manage your time within defined timescales
Specific software development experience required:
- Experience of commonly used frameworks and tools (React, Node.js etc.)
- Experience with RESTful services
- Experience working with version control and bug tracking systems such as Git and Jira
In addition to the core skills above, you may also have the following desirable experience:
- Experience of working in a consultancy environment
- Medical device development experience including developing safety critical software to EN 62034 and the related ISO 14971 standards
- Experience of App development for Android or iOS
- Some experience developing embedded software in C/C++
- Experience setting up and working with test frameworks and systems e.g. Jenkins, JUnit etc.
- Knowledge or experience of applying machine learning or AI to solve problems
- Some experience with other commonly used languages such as Python
At Kinneir Dufort (KD) we combine creative, technical and user experience expertise with agility. This enables our collaborative teams to rapidly define, create, develop and deliver world-changing products and experiences.
We think KD is a special place. Our team are intelligent, hard-working, fun, non-egocentric, and collaborate brilliantly together to produce creative solutions. We work with some of the biggest, best and most interesting international clients you’ll find anywhere. We’re a multi-disciplinary team of 50+ staff, with experts in research, innovation, human factors, digital UX, 2D and 3D product & packaging design, engineering, prototyping, and electronics & software, all uniquely integrated within one building.
Our team are collectively driven to “design a better world” by creating impactful change and positive outcomes for our clients and the people we are designing for. Designing a better world is something we strive for, both in the work we do, and the way we work. We believe strongly in equality and fairness, and try hard to do the right thing; we speak up and support groups who are working to make a difference. Our official KD partners are the RSA, Frank Water, Kerning The Gap, TeenTech, Babbasa, and The Big Bang. Many of our team are also involved in, or run events in their local communities, making a difference to those around them.
Founded in 1977 by Ross Kinneir and Francis Dufort, the KD team are based in an iconic building in the vibrant city of Bristol. The characterful Grade 2 listed stone building was originally built as a sugar refinery around 1850, and was later used to store theatre costumes. It’s now completely refitted, and houses all our staff plus our workshops, labs, the design studio, HF usability suite, and client meeting spaces. The local area, “Christmas Steps Arts Quarter”, is full of independent shops and makers. It’s a short walk up to Park Street, or over to the Harbourside and St Nick’s Markets, both of which have regular street food markets.
Since the Coronavirus pandemic, we’ve been actively exploring our ways of working for the future. At the moment, we offer ‘flexible working hours’ based around specific core hours each week. We fully anticipate further change in our understanding of what flexibility really means to us, and a team of staff is currently looking at how, where and when we can work to help us to be as effective, productive and happy as we can be in the future.
Why work with us?
At KD we have strong values which underpin everything we do. As a business and as individuals we are Curious, Open, Adaptable, Expert, Human & Inclusive. We expect a lot of our team, but in return we think we offer a lot too. We understand that we are only as good as our people, and we know how important it is to support our team.
We offer our staff:
• 25 days holiday a year (with extra days for long service).
• A matched contributory pension scheme.
• Company-wide bonus plus additional bonus opportunities for the business development team
• Private health care for you and your family; free employee eye tests plus an employee assistance scheme.
• Training and development opportunities, and regular lunch and learn sessions.
• Flexible working approaches.
• Regular opportunities to have your say, tell us what you think and influence how we develop as a team and as a business.
• Secure in-building bike storage and shower, discounted First Bus monthly and annual passes. (Bristol has a good Park & Ride bus network.)
• The opportunity to become involved in our work with the RSA, Frank Water, Kerning The Gap, TeenTech, Babbasa, The Big Bang.
• A cafe that acts as the focal point for the whole team to get together for morning coffee, lunch and afternoon tea. There is always daily fresh fruit and usually cake! There are plenty of opportunities to socialise outside of the office too, including activities like staff-organised runs, cycles, yoga sessions, as well as regular team socials.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and fulfilment of the criteria above.
If you like the sound of us and you meet the above criteria, then we’d love to hear from you. Send your CV, along with a covering letter/email, to [email protected], including reference to KDSE-Sept21 in the subject line.
The deadline for this vacancy is 20 November 2021.
If you have any queries about the role you would like to talk through before you apply, please get in touch.
At KD we consciously embrace diversity and proactively encourage this with our recruitment process. We welcome applications to this position from anyone meeting the skills criteria, from any background.