Mechanical Engineer/ Senior Mechanical Engineer
About the role
At Kinneir Dufort (KD) our mission is simple – to Design a Better World. We work with a wide range of clients in a variety of sectors, including medical, consumer and industrial. We have a highly skilled and collaborative team that enables us to combine creativity, technical innovation and user experience to deliver world-changing products and services to our clients.
We are looking for Mechanical Engineers at all levels to join our growing team. You may currently have a few years of experience or be an experienced Senior Engineer. We want you to get in touch.
You are a Mechanical Engineer working in consultancy, industry or at a start-up. You are an analytical thinker with a passion for understanding how products work and understanding the needs of the user. You will bring your own skills to add depth to our team, so you’ll need to be a team player who thrives on collaborating with others across different skillsets including software, electronics and design.
Your skills and experience
We understand that candidates may not have all of the skills and experience contained within our job adverts and as such we would encourage you to apply for the role or just call us for a chat if you do not quite match all of the requirements:
- A keen focus on the use of engineering principles and analysis techniques with areas of expertise in areas such as: fluidics, thermodynamics, stress/strain, materials science, optical design, or statistical methods.
- Design from concept through to manufacture of mechanical systems and products
- Experience in risk management process to ISO14971 and use of FMEA and Fault Tree
- Understanding and working within multi-disciplinary teams
- Presentation skills including written and verbal communication skills
- Client relationship management (ideally consultancy experience)
Salary commensurate with experience.
Why work with us?
We recognise that we are only as good as our people and we know how important it is to support our team:
- Performance related company-wide bonus
- Flexible working approaches around our core availability hours (which are Monday to Thursday 9:30am to 12:00pm & 2:00pm to 4:00pm and Friday 9:30 to 12:00pm) to help manage your work-life balance
- Training and development opportunities which include regular ‘lunch and learn’ sessions and knowledge sharing via internal channels
- Private healthcare for you and your family as well as additional support via our Employee Assistance Programme
- Enhanced Maternity & Paternity leave
- Discounted First Bus monthly and annual passes (Bristol has a good Park & Ride network.)
- Secure in-building bike storage and shower
- Free eye tests
- Join us for our legendary annual Summer and Christmas parties. There are also plenty of opportunities to socialise outside of the office too, including activities like staff-organised runs, cycles, yoga sessions and regular team socials!
- The opportunity to become involved in our work with the RSA, Frank Water, Kerning The Gap, TeenTech, Babbasa, and The Big Bang
- Regular opportunities to have your say and share your thoughts on how we can develop as a team and as a business
- Enjoy our café that acts as the focal point for the whole team to get together for morning coffee, lunch and afternoon tea. Cake plays a huge feature in the day-to-day here at KD!
Founded in 1977 by Ross Kinneir and Francis Dufort, the KD team are based in an iconic building in the vibrant city of Bristol. The characterful Grade 2 listed stone building was originally built as a sugar refinery around 1850. It’s now completely refitted, and houses all of our staff plus our workshops, labs, the design studio, an HF usability suite, as well as client meeting spaces. We are in a great central location: the local area is full of independent shops and it is only a short walk up to Park Street, or over to the Harbourside and St Nick’s Markets, both of which have regular street food markets.
Our values underpin everything we do.
- See possibility: we explore the potential in everyone & everything and embrace change to create opportunities.
- Make a difference: we want to part of the solution and have courage to act, even when it isn’t easy.
- Stand together: we collaborate seamlessly, value difference and support each other.
We believe strongly in equality and fairness and try hard to do the right thing; we speak up for and support groups who are working to make a difference. Our official KD partners are the RSA, Frank Water, Kerning The Gap, TeenTech, Babbasa and The Big Bang. Many of our team are also involved in, or run, events in their local communities, making a difference to those around them.
The team at KD are intelligent, hard-working, fun and collaborate brilliantly together to produce creative solutions. We work with some of the biggest, best and most interesting international clients that you’ll find anywhere. We’re a multi-disciplinary team, with experts in research, innovation, human factors, digital UX, 2D and 3D product & packaging design, engineering, prototyping, and electronics & software, all uniquely integrated within one great company.
Do we sound like a good match for you?
If you’d like to apply or discuss the role, we’d love to hear from you. If you think you might be the right person for us but want an informal chat first then get in touch via [email protected].
If you like the sound of KD and you feel you have the right skills for the role please apply via our Recruitee portal, you can apply by following the link here: Mechanical Engineer (recruitee.com)
We plan to shortlist applications as they are submitted, so if you are interested please don’t wait. We look forward to hearing from you!
At KD we consciously embrace diversity and proactively encourage this with our recruitment process. We welcome applications to this position from anyone meeting the skills criteria, from any background.