The Ethnic Diversity Excellence Programme
At KD we have initiated a pro-active response to the visible lack of diversity within the UK design industry. We are thrilled to announce our Ethnic Diversity Excellence Programme (EDE) which will offer support and practical assistance to three scholars ending their journey in education and heading out into the working world.
We believe that KD and the wider innovation, design and product development industry need to do more to mirror the diversity of whom we are designing for within the UK and beyond.
The Ethnic Diversity Excellence Programme is an opportunity for three individuals from minority Ethnic and Heritage communities to take part in a funded internship at KD. Supported by an industry-wide EDE Council, with council members from Astrazenca, LettUs Grow, Boots, FluoretiQ and Reckitt, the programme offers three people an immersive, potentially life changing opportunity to learn and develop within an industry environment.
What does the EDE Programme offer?
As well as mentoring from KD and further development opportunities from our industry partners, the programme provides £2,000 sponsorship each for three successful candidates and up to an additional £1,000 per person for travel and accommodation.
This programme is designed to equip interns with the knowledge and skills focussed around their final year project and help support their future entry into the design industry. It’s a great way to gain experience within an exciting and unique consultancy environment, with leading experts in their fields.
Who can apply?
- Have no restrictions on living/working in the UK
- Be able to commit to all aspects of the programme
- Working on a final year project, which core focus sits within one or more of these disciplines: Innovation, Product Design, Mechanical Engineering or Electronics and Software.
- Be entering the final year of your undergraduate degree in Autumn 2021 or studying for a postgraduate qualification on a product design, innovation or engineering course with an ambition of working in the design and product development sector.
- Willing to become a programme advocate, working alongside KD to raise awareness within schools and universities of the programme and potential career paths within design.
How do I apply?
Please send your CV with a one-page outline overview of your project accompanied by a short video clip that explains why you want to be selected for this programme to [email protected]
The application deadline is June 30th 2021 and the three successful candidates will be announced by 6th August 2021 for a September 2021 start.